Musical Theatre Workshop
Fall Semester – Saturdays
September 8th – October 27th
1:00 pm – 3:00 pm Ages 12-14
3:00 pm – 5:00 pm Ages 15 & older
During an 8 week course students will learn:
- Foundational/current musical theater dance – Including but not limited to: Tap, Ballet, Hip-Hop, Character
- Full dance routines – Basic and Intermediate level, immersive musical theater style
- Proper execution and correct names of most commonly used musical theater steps
- Mock dance calls – Each week the class instruction will include a simulated dance audition. Students will go through an experience similar to what they would find at a call back audition for a musical production
- Audition logistics – Prepare a young person for a musical theater audition – (i.e. resumes, what to wear, what to expect, director’s do’s and dont’s for auditions and production participation)
- Q & A – A few minutes of class time each week will be set aside so that the students may ask questions about musical theater auditions. The instructors experience and training as a director/choreographer/performer will enable her to share valuable insight with the students
Musical Theatre Instructor
Judy began dancing when she was 4 years old and performed in her first musical, The King and I, when she was 5 years old. She is trained in tap, ballet, jazz, clogging, MDT and folk dance. For 3 years Judy studied classical ballet in an intensive program at the School of Creative Arts in SLC. She performed multiple times in the Nutcracker with Mountain West Ballet and had a featured role in The Snow Queen with the U of U Ballet Department when she was just 14. While in high school Judy performed lead and supporting roles in each musical and school play that Murray High School offered. She was the 2-time State Debate Champion in Original Oratory and was a KSL/Deseret News Sterling Scholar State Finalist in Speech and Drama. She also had a blast performing for one summer in Lagoon’s Pioneer Village just after graduating from High School.
Judy auditioned for and was accepted into the Music Dance Theater Major at BYU Provo where she studied for 3 years. While at BYU she also trained danced with the BYU Folk Dance Ensemble for 3 years (this is where she learned to clog)! She loved the musical theater experiences she had as a teen and young adult performing on the Hale Center Theatre and Hale Center Theater Orem stages. She learned a great deal about musical theater from some incredible mentors and directors. Judy built on that knowledge and for 7 years she owned and operated her own dance studio, Dance for Joy! She taught tap, ballet and jazz and treasured the young students she came to know and love during that season of her life.
Judy counts herself very fortunate to have performed, choreographed, taught and directed on many stages in various venues including: BYU, Hale Center Theatre, Hale Center Theatre Orem, The Empress, Sugar Factory, Jordan School District, Murray City Arts, Sandy, Midvale, Bellevue Washington, Days of ’47 Inc., BSA, Lagoon and This is the Place Heritage Park. She currently enjoys being the director/choreographer for West Hills Musical at West Hills Middle School in West Jordan, and the guest choreographer for Copper Hills High School.
Judy is passionate about the performing arts and dearly loves teaching others, especially young people. She sees musical theater as a beautiful and empowering way to learn skills, gain confidence and have experiences that inspire a better way of life. We are thrilled to have her joining the team here at Starz Unlimited!